Thursday, October 4, 2012

DIY shrink film

First Graders did the most amazing project
with the simplest materials
if you have any #6 plastic drink cups around
(check the little recycling symbol on the bottom of the cup)
and some sharpies...

or colored pencils....
and an oven...
then you are in business!  

Just decorate your cup however you would like...(I cut them into pieces first) 
An important tip - if you want it to be something that you will hang from a wire or string, punch your hole BEFORE you shrink it

Then pop them in the oven @ 350 for just a minute or so....

......this is the coolest thing to watch.....

once they quit moving, they are done -
I have pretty much no feeling in my fingertips,
so I gently straighten out any warped pieces with my fingers -
you will probably want a popsicle stick, fork, tweezers...
some type of simple tool to uncurl any that don't flatten out on their own.
When they cool, you'll have a cool little trinket to wear as a charm,
hang as an ornament.... whatever!

This is a small plastic portion cup
(make sure it's #6 plastic!)



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much I will definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is really amazing! I love your ideas, actually. This is worth a try.

    -ShrinkWrap-Unlimited.com

    ReplyDelete